Skip to main content

What is science?

What is science? One definition, and this comes from webster's, is:

3 a: knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through scientific method

I have had this discussion many times with many men of faith, and many men not of faith. In most, I find an underlying opinion, backed up by the above definition, regarding the nature of science. That opinion is that science is the pursuit of truth. Its goal is to determine the underlying truth of the universe. I disagree.

Science does not care about truth. Nowhere in the scientific method does truth rear its ugly head. What you have is observation and theory. In other words, look at the data, then make something up to explain it, preferably something that explains yet-to-be-measured data. Then measure that data and, if it matches what the theory explained, you've got a good theory. Science tells us when something will hit the ground if we drop it. Science makes, with its sibling engineering, things like light bulbs and toothpaste. But science does not attack the beast of truth. At least not in my opinion.

Science makes models that predict observation. The best model is the model that most simply predicts all of the data. Even if that simplest model is a complete departure from the underlying truth of the universe, that is still the better scientific model. We have a model of the atom, I think proposed by Niels Bohr, showing that an atom is made up of electrons orbiting the nucleus in certain energy shells.
[caveat: I know this model has been superseded by more complex models, but I don't really want to use those as examples] Is this really what is going on? Are there really electrons? I say it doesn't matter to science, and this is why I don't see science as a pursuit of truth. Science doesn't care if the underlying truth doesn't really have electrons. We only care that the model that uses orbiting electrons predicts all our measurements. If it does, excellent model.

And I think that this, partially, is part of the problem with evolution. One of my dear friends once asked me a pointed question - do I believe in evolution? I responded, with hesitation, yes. This is because I know how Christians oft judge this. You either believe in God, or you believe in evolution. Christians who claim to believe both are just unwilling to resolve the issue, and this friend knew I was not like that - knew that I would have thought this through. But I immediately gave more - that my belief in evolution was a scientific belief, and did not mean that I thought evolution really happened (that evolution represented the truth of history). Because my belief there is that until we observe it, we don't know. But the theory of evolution, at least to a large degree, predicts the data. But since this post is not about evolution, which I could write on for about 10 hours straight, I'll save a deeper discussion for later.

My point is this: most, if not all, of the Science vs. God debates, put The Word of God in opposition to Science, while the two are inherently different. They are not in contention, because one addresses truth, and one does not. If you want truth, turn to God. If you want toothpaste, turn to Science. As such, science will never counter God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

39

Three decades I have walked the Earth.  Almost four.  I have known what it is to be loved by good parents, to be alienated and abused by classmates, to be a failure at scholastic pursuits, to be a success at scholastic pursuits, to find a family apart from heredity, to know love with the joys and pains that brings, to be a father of three wonderful children, and to be a master craftsman at my profession.  I have seen the glory of man, and the failure of man. When I was a young child, I gave my life to Christ.  I still remember the event, or at least I think I do.  Evergreen Baptist Church.  Vacation Bible School.  Altar call.  I was moved to move, to walk the path, to commit my life to Christ.  I have never had a burning passion for Christ, but I have held him in my heart.  In college I drifted away, as is the tendency.  When I became serious with my now wife, we agreed to walk the road of life together as a Christian family.  I have done this for the last 15 years. I believe

Critique: The New Answers Book 3, Chapter 3, Ken Ham and Roger Patterson

In reference to:  The New Answers Book 3, Chapter 3 Several assertions are made that are false, and several questionable tactics are used. Abiogenesis and Evolution [Humanists] want a monopoly on the teaching of molecules-to-man evolution in the public school science classroom. ... evolutionism in the sense of the belief aspects of evolution [life arising by natural processes, etc.] ... Embedded in this assertion is that evolution includes the formation of life from non-life.  This is incorrect.   Evolution  is a biological theory that describes how species of life change into other species of life.   Abiogenesis  is the development from life from non-life.  It is fair to characterize abiogenesis in a pre-consensus state.  It is not fair to consider this a shortcoming of evolution as they are distinct. Advocating Evolution as Religious An effort is made to show that "belief" in evolution is religious, and as such, teaching evolution and not creationism repre

Andy McIntosh - What About the Fossils - Part 11 (Ammonite and Wood)

This is part 11 of a series of commentaries on material presented by Andy McIntosh.  This material was presented at a church that I attend.  It has been presented other places as well. For reference, related arguments were presented by McIntosh in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPUU9Wb8yzQ C-14 Should be Missing McIntosh presents an argument that C-14 should not be found at all in a sample that is millions of years old, but that we do find that - which is a claimed problem with an old earth. Why should it be missing? A single piece of Nitrogen, an atom, has 7 protons, and usually 7 neutrons.  There is this thing that happens to nitrogen where it turns into carbon for a "short" while, then turns back into nitrogen. It starts when N gets hit with a neutron [N+n].  This causes a proton to get knocked out of the atom.  How an atom acts chemically is kind of based on how many protons it has, so this atom now starts acting like carbon [